Germans dig a gun-pit for 4.3 howitzer
Realistic Travels Publishers (Primary maker)
Stereoscope Photograph showing a view of Germans digging with camflaged gun to right. 'Germans dig a gun-pit for 4.3 howitzer ... fortified German entrenchments in Trones Wood.' Trones Wood was in the Somme sector A 4.5 Howeiter was one of the ‘lighter’ artillery pieces but it required six horses and a ‘limber’ (gun carriage) to be transported. There were nearly 1,000 of these guns in place on the Western Front when the ceasefire was announced in 1918.
Northern Ireland: County Antrim: Belfast
National Museums NI