Yeomanry Castle Town Union
This red coat with white piping is of the Yeomanry Castle Town, Co. Kildare. It is single breasted with a fall down collar. The cuff is slashed with a white overlap and bears four silver plated buttons with the letter "K" inscribed. The tail is slashed to waist, pleated, and has four buttons on each tail. There are concealed pockets on the inside of the tails. The coat has ten buttons down front. All the buttons except those on the cuff are flat silver plated and engraved "Castle Town Union". There is no makers name. The turn back on the tails carry a red felt heart on each side, which is believed to be a decorative device. Long coats such as these were replaced by the shorter coatees around 1800.
cloth : linen & silver plate
Northern Ireland: County Antrim: Belfast
National Museums NI